The Planets an Original Painting by Frances Whitman
Dimensions: 60 x 60cms Unframed
Acrylic on Box Canvas
This painting was inspired by The Planets written between 1914-1916 by British composer Gustav Holst, who was born in Cheltenham, UK.
‘The Planets’ represents all the known planets of the Solar System seen from Earth at the time, and their corresponding astrological character, including Jupiter and Mars.
1. Mars, the Bringer of War, Holst’s first movement represents the Roman god of war.
Mars. 2. Venus, the Bringer of Peace.
3. Mercury, the Winged Messenger Flighty and Flighty and fast.
4. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity As the round-faced cheery uncle of all the planets, and king of the gods, Jupiter is impressive and majestic.
5. Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age, A favourite movement of Holst’s, Saturn is quite a shift from the positive music heard in Jupiter.
6. Uranus, the Magician, represented in Greek mythology as the god of the sky.
7. Neptune, the Mystic
8.Earth, our home for now.